In today’s fast-paced society, a large portion of the adult population experiences some form of stress during their daily life. Since ancient times, it has been said that drinking green tea induces relaxation.
It has been found that this relaxation effect can be attributed to the presence of the amino acid L-Theanine.
Suntheanine® is the trade name for our patented high purity L-isomer-specific L-Theanine (chemical name: L-glutamic acid-y-monoethylamine), a unique amino acid found in tea (Camellia sinensis). Suntheanine® is produced via a patented enzymatic method.
Suntheanine® is the original, patented, and consumer recognized high purity L-isomer-specific L-Theanine; an award-winning and patented dietary ingredient for stress, relaxation, focus and improved sleep efficiency, which is currently used around the world by food, beverage, dietary, animal health and sports nutrition brands.
What the Science Shows
Suntheanine® is the original researched and patented form of L-Theanine. All original published scientific studies, clinical trials, and safety/toxicity studies were conducted specifically using Suntheanine® brand L-Theanine; which is L-Theanine manufactured specifically using Taiyo’s original, and ground-breaking proprietary manufacturing process.
Clinical trials have shown Suntheanine® promotes an alert state of relaxation without drowsiness, enhances sleep quality, and improves focus and concentration, as indicated by an increase in Alpha brain waves, and a decrease in Beta brain waves. Additional human clinical research suggests that Suntheanine® may have application in improving the quality of sleep, diminishing normal symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), improving learning performance, heightening mental acuity, promoting concentration, reducing negative side effects of caffeine and supporting the immune system. Suntheanine® is absorbed through the brush-border membrane in the large intestine and transported directly to the brain where it stimulates the generation of Alpha brain waves.
Mechanism of Action of Suntheanine®
• Suntheanine® is absorbed in the small intestine via a sodium-coupled active transport process and crosses the blood-brain barrier where it is absorbed into the brain in a dose-dependent manner.
• Suntheanine® may compete for absorption in the intestinal tract and brain with amino acids found in the methionine group, including isoleucine, leucine and valine. Concentrations of other amino acids are unchanged by Suntheanine®.
• Suntheanine® directly stimulates production of alpha brain waves (a state often achieved by meditation, one of deep relaxation and mental alertness).
• Suntheanine® plays a role in the formation of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA and increases dopamine release through modulation of glycine and AMPA receptors. Suntheanine® promotes a relaxation and excitatory inhibition effect without leading to drowsiness.
Suntheanine® Safety Studies
Suntheanine® has been shown to be safe for use as directed based on the following positive toxicology studies: 28 Day Subacute Toxicity Study, 78 Week Evaluation of Toxicity and Carcinogenicity, Acute Toxicity/LD-50 Determination and Ames Salmonella/Microsome Plate Test for Mutagenicity.
How Should Suntheanine® be Taken?
There is not a set schedule for taking Suntheanine®, and should be taken when levels of stress are noticed. The effects of Suntheanine® are generally felt within 30 minutes, and have been shown to last up to 8 – 12 hours. Consumption of Suntheanine® is not affected (positively or negatively) by the consumption of food. Suntheanine® may be taken at any time.
Recommended Use of Suntheanine®
The intended use for Suntheanine® is that of a relaxant to produce mental and physical relaxation without inducing drowsiness. Based on the results of clinical studies, it has been established that Suntheanine® is effective in the range of 50 – 200 mg. It is suggested that subjects with higher levels of stress consume a minimum of 100 mg for best effects. Please note that if a person is already calm and relaxed, little to no effect will be noticed at any level of consumption.
Trust Suntheanine®: Strong Regulatory Standing
• L-Theanine was approved in Japan in 1964 for unlimited use in foods. In 2000, Suntheanine® was introduced in the U.S. for use in dietary supplements. Suntheanine®, produced via a patented enzymatic process, resulting in an enantiomerically pure L-isomer-specific Theanine, was GRAS affirmed in the U.S. in 2005 for use in foods and beverages up to 250 mg/serving, with no limitation on the number of servings. In 2007 the U.S. FDA then further confirmed the GRAS Affirmation in its Letter of No Objection (GRN 000209).
Suntheanine® has been shown to be safe based on numerous favorable toxicology and efficacy studies. Unlike other stress reducing supplements, Suntheanine® does not cause drowsiness Suntheanine® has been consumed in beverages, foods and supplements since 1994 with no indication of adverse reactions or contraindications. Suntheanine® has been the leading and trusted branded proprietary version of L-Theanine recognized by consumers and major brands for over two decades.
With extensive clinical research, unparalleled safety support, several international patents, and consumer brand recognition, you can trust Suntheanine® to consistently meet the high quality standards your food, beverage and supplement products demand.
Suntheanine is approved for use in a number of food and beverage categories including juices, teas, sports beverages, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and specialty and nutrient enhanced water.
Wide Range of Applications for Suntheanine®
• Dietary Supplements
• Functional Foods and Beverages
• Enhanced Water
• Performance Formulations
• Candies and Gums
• Animal Health Products (**Patent for Behavior Issues in Cats & Dogs)
Suntheanine® Quality Certifications
Suntheanine® is Food Grade, Non-GMO, and meets Kosher and Halal requirements. Suntheanine® is certified independently as Non-GMO by The Non-GMO Project Verification Project.
Suntheanine® is part of an exclusive portfolio of proprietary ingredients from NutriScience Innovations, LLC and is a registered trademark of Taiyo International, Inc. Suntheanine® raw material is supplied exclusively in North America by NutriScience Innovations, LLC. Please reach out directly to the NutriScience sales team for your Suntheanine® sourcing needs, including technical docs, pricing, samples and commercial shipments.